Saturday, March 07, 2009

#115 A Fuller Communion

This particular reading of Oswald Chambers focused on how sometimes through spiritual discipline (which can involve confusion), that we finally see clearly, with a closer communion with God.

On this very rare occasion, I find myself disagreeing with Mr. Chambers in the use of one of his examples to illustrate this point. In this reading, there were 3 prayers used to illustrate this point.
1. The final prayer of Samson to God to restore his strength so that he could pull down the Temple of Dagon on top of both the Philistines and himself. (Judges 13)
2. The prayer of David after his year long silence after the murder of Uriah and marriage to Bathsheba (Ps 51)
3. The parable of the widow pleading to the judge for mercy (Luke 15)

Some observations:
1. None of the prayers were answered due to the worth of the petitioner, nonetheless, all of the prayers were answered.
a. Samson: Samson's strength came from a physical attribute, not his communion with God, nor his character. His last prayer was honored not only because his hair was growing out, but because God sought to show His glory over the Philistine god, Dagon. Samson only cared for taking vengeance for his eyes. God sought vengeance for His honor. In this case, the 2 coincided, but I disagree that Samson really saw the truth. Otherwise I think God would have spared his life instead of letting him die with the Philistines. His entire career, Samson did not seek the Lord's face, only His hand.

And yet, God still answered.

b. David: this prayer was after he finally acknowledged his sin with murdering Bathsheba's husband and taking Bathsheba for his wife. The fact that God always refers to Bathsheba as "the wife of Uriah" should spell out exactly where God places the responsibility for this situation. (hint: not with Bathsheba, God has no problem calling women harlots, I submit Jezebel as my case in point on that). It is almost as if God does not recognize the marriage of David and Bathsheba, as He never refers to Bathsheba as David's wife.

Yet, God chose Solomon to take the throne and be David's heir and ancestor to Jesus Christ.

c. The widow: The widow pleads for justice from a judge so persistently that the judge finally grants her wish just to get her off his back. This judge recognizes no authority other than his own, respecting neither God nor man.

The prayers of the carnal man, the righteous man, and the desperate woman were all answered. God is hammering home the point that prayer is the way to achieve what God would have you do.

2. The first 2 petitioners, Samson and David, took matters into their own hands and suffered dearly for it (Samson with Deliliah, and David with Bathsheba among other situations). The last, the widow, pleaded to the judge for justice and was answered.
self-determination: Christians are forbidden from taking matters into their own hands. We are not to take vengeance for ourselves, or to take for ourselves what we think we need. "Seek first the kingdom of God...." , "those who seek to save their life will lose it........".
example: Absalom. Absalom was the best that Israel could think of when it came to having a king. At this point David was losing control of Israel, and there was deep division in his court (partially stemming from his adultery with Bathsheba as Bathsheba's grandfather Mephibosheth was one of David's chief counselors), and Absalom was figuring out that he wasn't going to be the heir. Absalom was handsome, winsome, charming, and held the hearts of the people. In very real terms, he was the Obama of his day. Israel yearned for a king that they could believe in again, the honeymoon with the Giant Killer David was over. A civil war started, Absalom was killed with countless thousands losing their lives in the process.
What Israel didn't know is that they looked at Absalom, but God had something even better in mind for them. Solomon was about 10 years old at this point in time, and he was destined to be Israel's wisest king, with Israel being ushered into their Golden Age. Israel was never as prosperous or peaceful then, or now, as they were under Solomon's reign.

A word of encouragement here: for all the the daydreams, thoughts, wishes, hopes, and plans for my life, or any Christian's life, I can only imagine an "Absalom", when God has in mind a "Solomon". "No eye has seen nor ear has heard the wondrous and great things that the Lord God has for His people............". I have my ideas about my life, where I want it to go, what I want to do, and for all of my self-determination, for all of my baseborn wisdom, what I envision are crumbs compared to the plenty that God has waiting for me if I choose His way. God will let me have what I want............and that can be the worst thing for me. "All things are lawful, but not all things are edifying.............".

God has waiting for me something so much better than what I can imagine that I can't wait to find out what it is. I used to become impatient, and grab for myself what I thought I wanted. This has always, without fail, resulted in disappointment and loss. "With the riches of God there is no sorrow..........". God never does something at another's expense. It's not like God has to take from something or someone to give to someone else, He doesn't "do" Ponzi schemes (little accounting humour there). God functions from an overabundance..........there are enough dreams, riches, love and laughter for all who would have it. There is no shortage of adventures beyond my wildest imagination, there is no shortage of fulfillment or the joy that only He can bring.

Left to myself, I would choose an Absalom, when God has in mind for me a Solomon. The "good" is the enemy of the "best".

Hold on, stand fast, and expect the deliverance that He promises. He's always full of surprises!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home